[3dem] Hybrid modeling with Sculptor: new version 2.1

Willy Wriggers wriggers at biomachina.org
Fri Aug 10 10:55:10 PDT 2012

We'd like to advertise a new version of 'Sculptor' (the interactive
multi-resolution docking and visualization program at
http://sculptor.biomachina.org). Sculptor started ten years ago as a
virtual reality GUI-based frontent to our 'Situs' algorithms, but it has
over time matured into a sophisticated molecular graphics program with
unique hybrid modeling features.

We invite you to take a look at the web site above to explore our recent
publications and new program features - on alpha-helix detection in
density maps, the tracing of filamentous densities in large tomograms,
and a novel denoising filter. See also the new tutorial at
http://sculptor.biomachina.org/tut.interpretation.html.

The software is now open source under the GNU LGPL license and we have
compiled builds for Windows, Apple OS X, and Linux architectures, in
addition to providing the source code. If you prefer command line tools
instead, the recent additions are also available in our classic Situs
package in version 2.7.

We have recently moved the development of software to the cloud,
contributing our free time on a volunteer basis. This model has worked
quite well for us as we have moved on to new positions in recent years.
We remain committed to our software and will continue to develop new
functionality.

Best wishes,

Mirabela Rusu, Zbigniew Starosolski, Manuel Wahle and Willy Wriggers
http://biomachina.org