[3dem] A creative and challenging job in science communication - join PDBe as its Outreach Coordinator!

Gerard DVD Kleywegt gerard at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Apr 11 07:16:23 PDT 2012

Are you an aspiring science communicator who has a wonderful way with words?
The Protein Data Bank in Europe (PDBe; http://pdbe.org/) is looking for an
enthusiastic 'jack of all trades', to coordinate its outreach activities. We
are looking for someone who will raise the profile of PDBe through media
outreach and user training. This job provides an exciting opportunity for you
to have a real impact on the scientific community by helping biologists make
the most of structural information. The main responsibilities include:

* Developing and implementing an effective outreach strategy, which may involve
new activities (e.g. short video tutorials);
* Organising and running training 'roadshows', workshops and courses;
* Producing tutorials and course materials;
* Coordinating our presence at professional conferences;
* Drafting scientific reports, blog entries, news items, posters, slide
presentations and promotional materials;
* Maintaining and maximising the impact of our presence in social media;
* Operating the PDBe help desk;
* Soliciting, handling and analysing user feedback;
* Coordinating our activities with the EMBL-EBI Outreach and Training Team;
* In the interests of remaining grounded in the resource, annotate structure
entries (~25% of the time, this only applies if you have a background in
chemistry or biology).

For full details about this position, surf to:

     http://ig14.i-grasp.com//fe/tpl_embl01.asp?newms=jj&id=48567&aid=15470

When you apply through the EMBL website, you have to submit examples of three
different kinds of communications materials that you have personally produced
(they need not have been published). This could include a scientific paper,
popular article, blog entry, poster, short video, brochure, press release,
conference booth or anything along those lines. Please provide the materials
either as attachments or as URLs. We expect your cover letter to demonstrate
your enthusiasm for this position as well as your excellent writing skills. If
you are shortlisted for an interview, you will be asked to provide additional
materials.

Please note that knowledge of (structural) biology is desirable but not
necessary. However, superb communication skills and a keen eye for layout and
design are required.

--Gerard

---
Gerard J. Kleywegt, PDBe, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, UK
gerard at ebi.ac.uk ..................... pdbe.org
Secretary: Pauline Haslam  pdbe_admin at ebi.ac.uk