[3dem] Re: Ice contamination

Christian Geiss Geiss at biophysik.org
Wed Sep 28 01:54:14 PDT 2011

Hi Mrs Wright,

to comment the previous answer of Mr Grassucci:

As I said I have the same blobbies, looking exactly like this, but they are in diameter roughly 30-40 nm, and I am using a vitrobot mark IV with humidity chamber set to 100%. As I also said when I am preparing grids in a row, I experience this only at the end of my grid series preparation. Thus, the first grids had the same conditons regarding the humidifier box and didn't show up such bloobies. So I dont think that it has anything to do with spray contamination of the humidifier box. I assume that it looks more like contamination by plunge-freezing through liquid ethane or kind of post-contamination when transferring it to the grid box through the liquid nitrogen atmosphere. But it is still not clear to me what is really causing such a ice formation.

Best regards,
C. Geiss