[3dem] Re: 3dem Digest, Vol 49, Issue 6

DocDave50 at aol.com DocDave50 at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 22:22:44 PDT 2011

Peter,

While I don't have  specific experience with the Edwards Turbo Station, I
do have experience  with the Gatan Pumping Station and a Pumping Station I'd
built while at Yale  which has a rotary pump drafted Turbo.  In my system, a
vacuum of 10e-7  Torr can be achieved in 30 minutes where the Gatan Pumping
Station yields, at  best, 0.5e-6 Torr over a 24 hour pumping cycle.  The
advantage of the Turbo  Pumping stations...I believe that the Edwards are
usually 'drafted' turbo  systems...is a much faster dewar turn-around and given
the higher vacuums being  pulled, I have found much greater holder stability
over much longer times  of sample viewing.  If there is any relationship
between the Edward  vacuum pumping systems in their Evaporator Systems, I know
these can also  be run with liquid nitrogen cooling which provides yet
deeper vacuum  conditions.  I don't know if my experience is unique but it says
something very positive about the higher level turbo pumping systems in
facilitating better holder stability over time.

David W. Chester, Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry
Center for Structural  Biology
Flowers Building
Imperial College of  England
Exhibition Road
South Kensington, London, UK.   SW7  2AZ
_d.chester at Imperial.ac.uk_ (mailto:d.chester at Imperial.ac.uk)

In a message dated 9/12/2011 3:00:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,