[3dem] help on python script to open mrc file

Henning Stahlberg henning.stahlberg at unibas.ch
Mon Sep 5 06:56:42 PDT 2011

Hi,
The MRC file format exists as old and new version, the latter was released as part of the image2000 version of the MRC software.
It is a binary format, where a header of 1024 bytes is followed by the binary image data. The MRC format a is related to the CCP4 format.
The format is described here:
http://ami.scripps.edu/prtl_data/mrc_specification.htm
also copied here:
http://www.2dx.unibas.ch/documentation/mrc-software/mrc-documentation

The 2dx software uses an extended version of the MRC 2000 format: The original first header and image data are followed by a second header and a smaller 400x400 pixel version of the image. This second image can then be used for quick previewing of the image.  Since the first part of these files is not changed, these extended MRC files used by 2dx are readable by programs of the MRC software suite.

Best, Henning.

Henning Stahlberg, PhD
Prof. for Structural Biology, C-CINA, Biozentrum, University Basel
Mattenstrasse 26 | D-BSSE | WRO-1058 | CH-4058 Basel | Switzerland
http://c-cina.org | Tel. +41-61-387 32 62