[3dem] Re: 3dem Digest, Vol 50, Issue 13

DocDave50 at aol.com DocDave50 at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 15:33:22 PDT 2011

Hi Kimberley,

This is not unexpected since PCS is  providing you with an average size
based on the diffusion coefficient of your  vesicles.  When you consider that
PCS size determination is based on hard  sphere measurements (e.g., latex
bead) and your vesicles are both soft and have  a sizeable water of hydration
layer around them, they can "appear" to be larger  than what is measured in
the microscope which, assuming all calibrations are  correctly done, gives a
correct measure of particle diameter.  What I've  done with my DLS
measurements of vesicle diameter is to use latex beads with a  diameter range similar
to that of my vesicles and modified my parameter set to  ensure that they
provide the correct diameter.  I appears that this same  parameter set best
works for our vesicle work because we have something to  correlate the data
to where there is virtually complete size uniformity with the  latex beads.

Hope this helps to explain the  differences.

David W. Chester, Ph.D.
Department of BioMolecular  Science
Imperial College of London
Exhibition Road
South Kensington, London, UK.  SW7  2AZ

In a message dated 10/31/2011 10:15:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,