[3dem] Post-doc position in Paris

Slavica Jonic slavica.jonic at impmc.jussieu.fr
Mon Oct 10 02:44:31 PDT 2011

*Postdoctoral Scientist Position
*
A postdoctoral position is available at the University Pierre and Marie
Curie in the centre of Paris. The research will involve development of
novel methodologies for single particle analysis in the presence of
conformational heterogeneity, in close collaboration with
experimentalists and modelers.The software will be ported within the
Xmipp software suite (http://xmipp.cnb.csic.es) using Python, C++, and
MPI parallelization.

Depending on your skills, you will carry out research using
computational methods and/or design and perform electron microscopy data
collection experiments. You will be highly motivated and have a PhD in
computational biology, physics, mathematics, electrical engineering,
structural biology, bioinformatics or other related fields, strong
background in image processing for three-dimensional electron
microscopy, good communication and collaborativeskills, and a strong
analytical mind. You should have experience in scientific programming
(C++, Python, Perl)for image processing methods development or in
experimental electron microscopy with an interest in methods
development. Operating as part of a small, dynamic team, you will be
encouraged to think creatively and collaborate with several laboratories
from leading research institutions such as CNRS, CEA Saclay, Ecole
Polytechnique, Institut Curie, CNB-CSIC (Spain), and University of Oxford.

The successful candidate will be awarded a 1 year postdoctoral position
with the possibility for further extension. Young post-docs are strongly
encouraged to apply (gross monthly salary including social securityis
2,500 EUR for less than 2 years of experience after PhD).The successful
candidatewill be encouraged to apply as soon as possible for a young
researcher permanent positionat the French national research center CNRS
if he/she wants to join our team on a permanent basis and we will help
him/her to prepare the application. Both French and non-French-speaking
candidates are encouraged to apply.

We are "Structure and Dynamics of Proteins" group at the IMPMC(Institut
de Minéralogie et de Physique des Milieux Condensés) that is a mixed
unity composed of the personnel from the CNRS, the University Pierre et
Marie Curie - Paris 6, and the University Denis Diderot - Paris 7. Our
research activities include high-resolution structure determination by
single-particle cryo-EM and electron crystallography, and development of
new methodologies for single-particle image analysis and modeling. We
are equipped with a JEOL 200kV FEG (JEM-2100F) and a JEOL 200kV LaB6
(JEM-2100) featuring cryo capabilities, energy filtration, STEM, 2K and
4K Gatan CCDs, two Digitizer Nikon Coolscan 8000 ED and 9000 ED, a
film-handling robot for Nikon Digitizer, an automated cryo-plunger with
a controlled environment and an AMD Opteron cluster. A ZEISS Ultra 55
FEG SEM and a ZEISS Neon 40Esb FEG FIB are also present at our
laboratory. The laboratory possess the equipment necessary for
expression and purification of soluble and membrane proteins. We have a
regular access to two French supercomputer centres IDRIS (Orsay) and
CINES (Montpellier).

Applications including a detailed CV, a motivation letter, and contact
information for two referencesshould be sent by e-mail to:*
*Dr Slavica Jonic*(slavica.jonic at impmc.upmc.fr)*.**
*This position will remain open until*/**/*//a suitable candidate is
found. *

--
Dr Slavica JONIC, CR1 CNRS
Institut de Minéralogie et de Physique des Milieux Condensés (IMPMC)

Tel: +33 1 44 27 72 05
Fax: +33 1 44 27 37 85
E-mail: Slavica.Jonic at impmc.upmc.fr