[3dem] CEMOVIS

Cedric Bouchet-Marquis cedric.bouchet-marquis at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jul 21 10:58:04 PDT 2011

Hi

You can definitely use samples frozen in planchets for CEMOVIS. You'll have
to get some of the sample out of the planchet and mount it on a pin using
some cryo glue made of : ethanol: 2-propanol (2:3)

The only drawback here is that you'll have to cut at lower temps ~ -160 C
where samples break more easily and you'll probably get also more cutting
artifacts (crevasses in particular).

Ref: A cryoglue to mount vitreous biological specimens for
cryoultramicrotomy at 110K. Richter 1994

For more ref on that method, look at Al-Amoudi A. and Zuber B. work.

Cheers

cedric