[3dem] high EMF

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 01:03:22 PDT 2011

Dear Alok,

We have had this type of dynamic field compensation in operation for our
CM300 FEG and CM200 FEG instruments for more than a decade and to our
full satisfaction. If I remember correctly the residual field
(50Hz/60Hz) is reduced to ~10% of its original value after correction.
This type of compensation is only ment to work for magnetic strayfields
generated by the 50/60 Hz mains.

Hope this helps,

Marin

On 20-Jul-11 7:55 AM, Alok Mitra wrote:
> Dear colleagues:
>
>   The EMF measurements for the microscope rooms where our old T12 and
> the new TF20 (with GIF) are to be housed revealed values beyond the
> acceptable level. One of the remedial solution suggested is to utilize
> an active field cancellation device, which samples the field strength
> in real time and generates an opposing field to cance (placed near the
> objective lens)l. Does anybody have experience as to how well such a
> device performs? I will appreciate your input
>
>    regards
>
>    Alok

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Structural Biology

     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Imperial College London
     Flowers Building (G23)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,        UK

     Tel:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5316
     Fax:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5317

     e_mail: m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:<vanheel.office(A_T)ic.ac.uk>
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com
     private email:   marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     web:    www.cbem.ic.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee
that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover,
Imperial College Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes
make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)