[3dem] SIRT, ART (and SART)

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 14:18:38 PDT 2010

Dear Mike,

SIRT (Simultaneous Reconstruction Technique) is a 3D reconstruction
technique by:
Peter Gilbert, Iterative methods for the three-dimensional
reconstruction of an object from projections Journal of Theoretical
Biology 36 (1972) 105-117.

This paper was a reaction from the MRC group in Cambridge to the earlier
ART algorithm (Algebraic Reconstruction Technique):

Gordon, R., Bender, R., Herman, G.T.: Algebraic reconstruction
techniques (ART) for three-dimensional electron microscopy and x-ray
photography, Journal of Theoretical Biology 29:471-482, 1970.

The latter is a rather instable algorithm that was made to behave much
better in SIRT by back projecting the residual errors from all
projections simultaneously. In ART each error projection is
back-projected immediately after the input projection image contributes
to the 3D volume.

Such iterative algorithms, are non-linear and generally perform worse
(both in reconstruction quality and in terms of their computational
speed) than exact filter algorithms (George Harauz and Marin van Heel,
Exact filters for general geometry three dimensional reconstruction,
/Optik/ 73 (1986) 146-156;  The same algorithm was published by
Radermacher and co-workers).

Moreover, iterative 3D algorithms are almost never tested with objective
performance criteria such the Fourier Shell Correlation FDC (same Harauz
and van Heel 1986 reference as above).

Iterative real-space algorithms may be convenient when constraints (such
as positivity) are to be imposed during the 3D reconstruction procedure.

Hope this helps,

Marin van Heel

On 20/09/2010 22:43, Mike Marsh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does everyone in the community mean the same thing when they say SIRT
> or ART?  Or do different research groups mean slightly different things?
>
> I once heard an engineer for FEI describe SIRT and ART reconstruction
> techniques in a talk, but his definitions differed from my how I
> learned and understand them (as described in Kak and Slaney).
>
> So are these terms somewhat ambiguous or are there
> community-accepted definitions for them?  If so, can you recommend an
> appropriate review article?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike Marsh

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Structural Biology

     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Imperial College London
     Flowers Building (G23)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,        UK

     Tel:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5316
     Fax:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5317

     e_mail: m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:<vanheel.office(A_T)ic.ac.uk>
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com
     private email:   marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     web:    www.cbem.ic.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee
that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover,
Imperial College Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes
make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)