[3dem] Thoughts on Gatan Cryoholders (CT3500 and 626)

Cheng, Yifan YCheng at ucsf.edu
Fri Sep 17 11:53:59 PDT 2010

We have both CT3500 and 626. CT3500 is more suitable for high resolution work, while 626 can tilt to higher angle. I noticed that the new CT3500 can also be tilted to 50 or even 60 degree, and 626 has a better design in the dewar and is more stable than older version. So, I would say that both CT3500 and 626 are improved compared with their earlier generation. Gatan’s specification of both holders are the same, 3.4A at LN temperature. But we got 2.3 from our CT3500, just like the original CT3500 from Oxford. Surprisingly, 626 gives also good resolution, better than 3.4A.

In general, CT3500 is more stable, but harder to handle. 626 is easier to deal with but less stable. Nevertheless, performance is still dependent on individual holders, or as always, depends on how lucky are you.

The problem for CT3500 is that it is very fragile. If you have a large user group, it is very likely that your CT3500 would be traveling a lot between your lab and Gatan. If you would like to have CT3500, it is better to have two. Although sounds ridiculous, but you will find this is actually necessary. Because, most likely, one of the two will be on the trip at any given time.

Good luck,

Yifan