[3dem] Re: 3dem Digest, Vol 36, Issue 13

JM Mantell J.Mantell at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 01:50:36 PDT 2010

Hi Neil,
We have two 4K Eagle cameras fitted to a T12 and a T20 LaB6 TEMs. Although
we have a plate camera on the T20, no-one has used it in the last two years
- even the cryo people who thought the digital option wouldn't be adequate.
So the images are very good.

We find the TIA operating software a bit cumbersome. I'm sure everything is
in there but its often buried in several menus.

Couple of negatives. The stability of the two cameras we have is very
different. The gain and bias settings on the T20 camera need to be
re-calibrated on a daily basis. The T12 one is good for a week even though
this is used more extensively. We had thought that it was strongly
dependant on the cooling water supply and temperature, but we have done
lots of work to improve that and it's not made a lot of difference

Also the cooling fans are very noisy. We are trying to source and retrofit
ourselves some quieter ones.

If you would like to come down and have a look at them here, you would be
most welcome.

Best wishes,
Judith

--On 26 August 2010 12:00 -0700 3dem-request at ncmir.ucsd.edu wrote: