[3dem] Carbon evaporation systems for TEM

Joaquin Ortega ortegaj at mcmaster.ca
Wed Oct 6 18:15:07 PDT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking into buying a compact bench-top carbon evaporation system to prepare continuos and holey carbon grids for cryo-TEM.

I was wondering which systems people are using out there and whether they produce good quality and resistant carbon films.

Two systems that I found browsing in the web are:

1. 208C High Vacuum Turbo Carbon Coater from Cressington (http://www.tedpella.com/cressing_html/cres208C.html)

2. K975X Turbo-Pumped Thermal Evaporator (http://www.quorumtech.com/products/bench-top-vacuum-evaporators/k975x-bench-top-vacuum-evaporator-digital-control.html)

Any experiences (good or bad) with these two particular systems.

Thank you for your input.

Best

Joaquin

Joaquin Ortega. Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
Michael DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research
McMaster University, HSC 4H24
Hamilton. ON Canada L8N 3Z5
905-525 9140 x22703.