[3dem] Cryo-EM size limit

R.I.Koning at lumc.nl R.I.Koning at lumc.nl
Wed Nov 3 01:26:41 PDT 2010

Dear Reza,

Considering the on-going discussion I would additionally like to point out that there is a difference between 2D imaging of protein structures using cryo-EM and getting a succesfull 15 angstrom 3D reconstruction using single particle imaging and reconstruction techniques.

A successful reconstruction of small particles (lets say <300 kDa) depends  on the shape of the particle and also on when you consider it to be successful and what feature you want to resolve. Therefore it is difficult to get a practical limit.

I wonder what the smallest particle is that has been resolved using singel particle cryo electron microscopy to 15 angstrom until now. Does anybody know? That might give you a practical answer to your question.

Regards,

Roman

Roman I. Koning, Ph.D.
Leiden University Medical Center