[3dem] RE: Radius of Gyration from a single particle 3-D model

Qiu-Xing Jiang Qiu-Xing.Jiang at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed May 5 07:19:39 PDT 2010

For CG 3, here what I do. 1) find a proper threshold to account for molecule size, 2) generate a mask around the molecule, and calculate the s.d. of the volxels outside the mask; 3) divide the map by the s.d. of the noise, and subtract one from the map; 4)  find the right threshold and use it in CG 3. It generates a weight function. For symmetrical densities, the voxels around the symmetry axis tend to be over-weighted in this procedure, and the radius could be smaller. From run to run in refinement, the results change a bit, but not much when the refinement converges well.

>>> Joachim Frank <jf2192 at columbia.edu> 5/4/2010 11:57 PM >>>
However, when a choice of surface threshold has already been made,
which is often the case, then I suggest you can replace the inside
with 1's and the outside with 0's, so CG 3 will give you the rad of
gyration and center of gravity for a mass of that shape.

--Joachim.

Pawel.A.Penczek at uth.tmc.edu
Quoting "Penczek, Pawel A" <>:

> Hi,
>
> indeed, I wrote CG 3 while back.  However, strictly speaking neither
>  radius of gyration
> nor center of gravity can be computed for EM reconstructed molecules
>  as proper
> normalization of densities is not known.  So, it is easy to check
> that results are arbitrary and
> can be modified significantly by renormalization of the structure.
>
> Regards,
> Pawel A. Penczek, Ph.D.
> Professor
> Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> The University of Texas - Houston Medical School
> MSB 6.220
> 6431 Fannin
> Houston, TX 77030
> USA
>
> phone: 713-500-5416
> fax: 713-500-6297
> pawel.a.penczek at uth.tmc.edu
> http://www.uth.tmc.edu/bmb/faculty/pawel-penczek.html

Joachim Frank, Ph.D.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator,
Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics,
and Department of Biology, Columbia University,
650 West 168th Street, P&S Black 2-221
New York, NY 10032
(T) 212 305-9510  (F) 212 305-9500  Admin Asst: Tornubari Barinee 212 305-9512
(E) jf2192 at columbia.edu
http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/frank.html