[3dem] Course on Single Particle 3D at M&M meeting 2010

Michael Radermacher mraderma at physiology.med.uvm.edu
Sun Jul 11 17:39:48 PDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

We will be offering a Sunday short course at the Microscopy & Microanalysis
meeting 2010 in Portland OR. The course, although assigned to the Biology
section, could also be very beneficial to the Material Science community as it
was, when we taught a similar topic at the "Euro-summer school on Electron
Crystallography and  Cryo-Electron Microscopy on Inorganic Materials and Organic
and Biological Molecules" held in 2001 in Barcelona.

Course description:

X12 3D Electron Microscopy of Macromolecular Assemblies
Teresa Ruiz, Michael Radermacher, and Stefan Birmanns.

This short course will provide a comprehensive description of the
methods used for 3D structure determination of macromolecular
complexes from electron micrographs. First specimen preparation
techniques for single particles (deep stain, vitreous ice), will be
presented and the selection of imaging conditions including low-dose
imaging. This will be followed by a detailed explanation of image
processing techniques with special emphasis on the random conical
reconstruction technique. In the last part structure interpretation
and docking of X-ray structures to 3D EM densities will be demonstrated.

--

Michael Radermacher, Ph.D., Prof.
University of Vermont