[3dem] Cryo-EM lab temperature and humidity specifications

Steven Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Wed Feb 24 08:03:45 PST 2010

Houston has a similar climate. My condolences :^)    Generally speaking, the lower the better, of course.
Also keep in mind that from the perspective of the specimen at LN2 temperatures, what really matters is
the total partial vapor pressure of the water in the air, and that relative humidity is relative to saturation at
a specific temperature. ie - the somewhat obvious point that 20% RH at 70 degrees is a lot less humid than
20% at 80 degrees from the perspective of the specimen. I would say your numbers are similar to what we
achieve. However, it is very expensive for the university to keep a set of rooms under these conditions, in
this climate, so we find that our physical plant periodically 'relaxes' their settings and waits to see if we
complain about it.  Something to look out for...  keep a T/H chart recorder somewhere in the suite :^)

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.edu
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu