[3dem] FEI Eagle 4k camera

Fco Javier Chichón fjchichon at cnb.csic.es
Mon Aug 30 00:42:14 PDT 2010

Dear Neil.

One year ago we installed a new 4x4 Eagle camera for a Tecnai T20.

During this year we have experienced several random problems in the
acquired images:

1.- Black horizontal stripe in a honeycomb background. It was due to
instabilities with the power supply and it is solved now.
2.- Hang-up of the CCD software controller during tomographic
acquisition. It was due to the software and is was solved with the
installation of the newer versions.
3.- Black quadrant. Randomly and always the same quadrant turn black
while the three others capture the normal image. The problem remains
until you change the binning settings. The people of FEI are working on
that for the moment.

In terms of design...Is not possible to burn this camera to eliminate
small things that could fall on the detector and is not retractable too.
That's is good for the quality of the images but could attract a lot of
dust when you vent the projector  chamber to recover and introduce plates.

The camera works properly but we expected to have less troubles, even
more because we know that this camera works perfectly in other Tecnai T20.

Neil Ranson escribió:
> Dear All,
> We are currently looking to buy a multiport 4k CCD camera, and I was
> wondering what people's opinions on FEI's Eagle camera are?
> Any thoughts most welcome.
> Kind regards,
> Neil Ranson
>

> Neil Ranson PhD
> Level 2 Biochemistry Tutor
> Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology
> IMCB
> University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK.
>
> EM Image Processing Suite - Miall 6.02
> Tel: 44 (0) 113 343 7065
>
> email: n.a.ranson at leeds.ac.uk <mailto:n.a.ranson at leeds.ac.uk>

Francisco Javier Chichón García

Centro.: Centro Nacional de Biotecnología
Dept.: Macromolecular Structure
Lab.: S1
Tel.: (+34) 91585-5497