[3dem] Protein size for negative staining at rotary shadowing

Fang Zhao fang.zhao at helsinki.fi
Thu Aug 26 22:51:46 PDT 2010

Dear Guenter:

Negative staining and rotatory shadowing are two different methods to render
contrast to your protein under EM, you need either one, not both, but if you
want, you can use both as complement.
Negative staining has higher resolution than shadowing; shadowing allow you
to distinguish your particles from background easier if it is done properly.

Theoretically, negative staining has a resolution limit 2 nm, which
correspond to 30 KD for a globular protein. But I never get that size
visualized under EM, not even for 60 KD. For the best situation, with 100
KD, you may have some hope, for 200 KD, it is for sure you get something.
Good luck for your experiment.

Best Regards,

Fang
Fang Zhao, MD. PhD.