[3dem] Breaking of C-flat carbon and vitrification

Shi, Dan (NIH/NCI) [C] shid at mail.nih.gov
Fri Aug 6 10:49:43 PDT 2010

We had the C film broken problem with C-flat even 400 mesh grids. The company was using thin/slim bar grids to support the fragile carbon film. Those grids are very soft, and most of them were bent when were  picked out from the box.  I suggested the company to use regular Cu (25 um of bar width for 400 mesh) and thick carbon coating for us. The broken carbon area from either Vitrobot or MRC plunger dramatically decreased since we started using the new C-flat grids with regular Cu grids few months ago. The extra supporting area and stronger frame from the bars seems to hold the carbon film more firmly. Good luck,

Dan Shi