[3dem] Breaking of C-flat carbon and vitrification

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Fri Aug 6 09:54:47 PDT 2010

We also found that the C-flat film is very fragile. We have been
unable to use the 200 mesh grids, even with the double-thick carbon,
although we do use the 400 mesh C-flat grids routinely and they are
generally ok.

We also found that it is important not to over-glow discharge the
grids to get good sample thickness. The default setting on our glow
discharger was 100mA for 30 sec, but I reduced it to 25mA for 10 sec
for grids that we use for cryo-EM. (For negative staining, we use
50mA for 20 sec) This is for using with one-sided (manual) blotting
and not with the Vitrobot, though, so your optimal settings may be
different.