[3dem] simulated micrograph for ctf determination?

Friedrich Foerster frido at salilab.org
Wed Sep 16 06:36:09 PDT 2009

in small angle x-ray solution scattering effective form factors are
used that take care of the average solvent effect. these form factors
'remove' the contribution of the excluded solvent from the vacuum
contribution. to low resolution (2 nm) the angular dependence of the
form factor is negligible. the same strategy should also work for em
if you want to account for the solvent effect (excluding a possibly
ordered hydration shell). thus, when simulating an em map a quick and
dirty solution to include the major solvent effect would be to just
use these effective f(0)s instead of the vacuum f(0)s (or atomic
number or mass, which are approximately proportional).
for the actual parametrization look at:

Fraser, R., MacRae, T., and Suzuki, E. (1978) An improved method for
calculating the contribution of solvent to the X-ray diffraction
pattern of biological molecules. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 11:693-4.

best

friedrich

--

Dr. Friedrich Foerster