[3dem] PhD, Postdoctoral and Staff Scientists Positions in Cryo-Electron Microscopy and Image Processing

Achilleas Frangakis frangak at embl.de
Thu Oct 29 09:53:49 PDT 2009

The Frankfurt Institute for Molecular Life Sciences at the Goethe
University Frankfurt invites applications
for PhD, Postdoctoral and Staff Scientists Positions.

Our team is involved in studying a variety of biological systems by
electron microscopy/ tomography, and has several open positions for
interested candidates. In particular, we are focusing on cellular
junctions (Al-Amoudi et al. 2007, Nature), of special interest being
those that are involved in the wound-healing process, using the dorsal
closure in drosophila embryos as a model system. Other projects include
the visualization of cellular proteomes with pattern recognition methods
(Kuehner et al. accepted, Science).

We are seeking scientist with a background in either:
a) engineering and/or computer science to develop image processing
algorithms for electron tomography and single particle cryo-EM
applications.
or
b) in biochemistry and cell biology, preferably with experience in
cryo-sectioning or conventional electron microscopy preparation
techniques (chemical fixation, high-pressure freezing and freeze
substitution).

The lab is equipped with an FEI Titan Krios and a Tecnai F20 microscope,
high-pressure freezing and sectioning equipment, and a supercomputing
cluster with 5000 CPUs and 1000 GPUs.

All positions are funded for several years.

If you are interested, or for further information, please contact me at:
Achilleas Frangakis, Frankfurt Institute for Molecular Life Sciences and
Institute of Biophysics,
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt,
Max-von-Laue-Str. 1, D-60438
Tel: +49 69 798 46462

--
Achilleas Frangakis, Prof. Dr.
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt