[3dem] VolRover volume segmentation

Matthias Wolf wolf at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 14 07:00:46 PDT 2009

Hi David,

you can alternatively use chimera to segment density: try the "color
zone" option together with "volume path tracer":
http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/tutorials/eman07/chimera-eman-2007.html

If you have an atomic model docked into the map it's even easier: Just
select the model parts you want colored, then use color zone with
appropriate radius and your density will be selectively colored.

In pymol you can do the same:
load map.ccp4
load model.pdb
isomesh full_map, map, 2.0
isomesh selective_mesh, map, 2.0, model//A//, carve=2.0
isosurf selective_surf, map, 2.0, model//B/210-234/, carve=3.0
color red, selective_surf
set transparency, 0.3

E.g., the last command creates an isodensity surface at 2 sigma level
around chain B, residues 210-234 and renders it at a distance of 3.0A
from the selected model atoms. Use set transparency, if you want a
transparent surface instead of wiremesh. Pymol produces very good
results. There is a 64bit version that can handle even the largest data
sets (if your machine has enough memory). Contact Warren DeLano about it.

    Matthias