[3dem] 3D on Chimera.

Matthias Wolf wolf at crystal.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 26 13:08:03 PST 2009

Hi Aymen,

I would recommend to install the latest openGL graphics drivers. I have had very good experience
with nvidia cards and drivers. Red/cyan stereo works on my machines for both map and pdb on linux as
well as Vista 64bit.

For easy-to-configure hardware stereo one used to need a quadro class card, IR sync box and LCD
shutter glasses as well as a CRT monitor which can sustain a high refresh rate. Or more elaborate
stereo displays.

nVidia now sell a bundle product with a stereo-capable LCD display for a low price - see here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_Main.html
Their glasses and driver are supposed to work with any of the geForce gaming cards, which can
frequently perform better than the much more expensive quadro versions.

Start chimera with '--stereo' for hardware stereo.
For O 'setenv STEREO on' with csh, then press 'F1' in O to toggle
coot --stereo

Most programs that use openGL can be tricked into hardware stereo mode by using a "sync-doubler
box". And you can configure the nvidia driver for anaglyph stereo. Not always straight forward. See
google.

    Matthias

Matthias Wolf, PhD - Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Harrison Laboratory
BCMP, Harvard Medical School
Seeley G. Mudd 130
250 Longwood Ave. Boston, MA 02115