[3dem] Scientific Programmer/Software Engineer with EMDB at EBI, Cambridge, UK

Christoph Best best at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 16:08:13 PST 2009

Dear colleagues:

thanks to the generosity of EMBL, we have another position available at
EMDB (note that this is not the same as the one I posted in June). I
would appreciate if you could circulate this announcement.

Feel free to contact me directly for further information about this
position.

Thank you!
-Christoph
--
| Dr Christoph Best      <best at ebi.ac.uk>           http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~best
| Project Leader Electron Microscopy Data Bank, PDB Europe
| European Bioinformatics Institute, Cambridge, UK             +44-1223-492649

EMDB, the Electron Microscopy Data Bank at the European Bioinformatics
Institute in Cambridge, England, has a staff position opening for a

  Scientific Programmer / Software Engineer

We are looking for someone with very good software engineering skills
(target platform is GNU/Linux and Mac OSX, primary languages Java and
Python, focus on web-based interfaces and distributed
applications/grids/clouds), a background in any of
bioinformatics/computer science/image processing, structural biology,
or (bio-)physics or applied mathematics, a good grasp of mathematical
and statistical algorithms, and a track record of developing and
maintaining scientific software. A willingless to understand the
underlying biological problems is essential.

This post is part of a joint NIH project with Rutgers University, New
Jersey, and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston.  Example topics to
work on would be to improve the EMDB user experience both during
deposition and retrieval, provide better tools for the visualization
and analysis of large complex data sets in EMDB, integrate EMDB with
other databases and semantic retrieval tools (e.g. through
ontologies), develop tools for statistical assessment of image
quality, and figure out how to use the emerging grid/cloud computing
infrastructures for storage and computation of EMDB data (e.g. through
integration with workflow tools).

EMDB is part of the PDBe team at EBI.

More information about EMDB can be found on its web pages at

  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/emdb

Feel free to contact me <best at ebi.ac.uk> directly for further
information about this post.

The post is an EMBL staff position with an initial contract for two
years. Further details can be found in the job posting at

  http://www.embl.de/aboutus/jobs/jobs_embl_ebi_hinxton/2010/bioinformaticians/w_09_109_ebi/index.html

Please note that applications must be sent only to

  <applications at ebi.ac.uk>

quoting reference no. W/09/109 in the subject.