[3dem] Situs version 2.5 - 10th anniversary

Willy Wriggers wriggers at biomachina.org
Fri Aug 28 17:41:00 PDT 2009

Hi,

The new release 2.5 of the EM docking package Situs is available at
http://situs.biomachina.org. This stable version was tested by users for
about a month.

Here are some highlights:

- The popular 'colores' program has been optimized to run more
efficiently (speed and memory improvements of about 20% upto 60% in some
cases). Also, the solutions found by 'colores' can be explored
interactively with the new release of the graphics program Sculptor. For
an example of this interactive approach see
http://sculptor.biomachina.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68.

- We added a new program 'matchpoint' for fast point cloud matching of
structures based on feature points. This program, developed by Stefan
Birmanns, is part of an ongoing update of the 1999 feature-point based
tools with next-generation algorithms.

map to ccp4' on 12/13/08) we discussed the consistent rendering of
structural data with the developers of Situs-compatible software em2em
(Michael Schatz), Sculptor (Stefan Birmanns), VMD (John Stone), and
Chimera (Tom Goddard). This effort ensured that maps and PDB structures
are consistently positioned in these programs. We revised our own
'map2map' format conversion program in response to the jointly supported
conventions for MRC2000 / CCP4. Also, em2em started supporting Situs a
few months ago (thanks to Michael Schatz).

For a full listing of the Situs 2.5 updates see
http://situs.biomachina.org/fhis.html

Thanks for your interest.

Willy Wriggers, Ph.D.