[3dem] Contamination problem on cryo grids

R.I.Koning at lumc.nl R.I.Koning at lumc.nl
Mon Sep 29 06:04:02 PDT 2008

Dear Anselm,

This looks very much like a hydrophobicity problem. The support is not hydrophilic enough, preventing the water to spread nicely over the film and the holes.

I encountered this as a typical Quantifoil problem, since I (and others) noted that there is residual plastic.

Now I can not with certainty make out what you ment with "with 2nm Carbon on top". Does that mean that you sputter 2 nm extra carbon on one side of the Quantifoil or that you float a very thin layer of carbon over the film and holes??? In any case, you seem to have put the quantifoil in the Chloroform solution AFTER you put your additional carbon.

If it is the first, make sure to sputter the carbon on both sides of the grid. If it is the second make sure not to put the film in choloroform afterward. This can cause the residual plastic to redistribute over the caron film, which will result in hydrophiic pathes whether you put the carbon yourself or not. Take notice that performing an additional washing step does not necessarily remove all plastic!! (otherwise there would be no reason to have any plastic left on the grids when you get them from Quantifoil).

What I standard do is sputter a very thin layer of carbon on BOTH sides of the Quantifoil and NOT remove any plastic. Works fine.

With best regards,

Roman Koning

R.I.Koning, Ph.D
Leiden University Medical Center