[3dem] Contamination problem on cryo grids

Shi, Dan (NIH/NCI) [C] shid at mail.nih.gov
Mon Sep 22 05:33:40 PDT 2008

Anselm,
I agree with Bob. The contamination most likely comes from a 'dirty' grid. You may be able to clean out the dirty spots by using acetone, chloroform and plasma treating, and check the quantifoil grids before and after clean procedures to find out if any one of them works. Anther possible sources might be one of the chemical agents you used was 'sticky' to some uneven discharged 'pockets' to form the 'splotchy ice'. You can try to use ethanol environment for glow-discharging the grids to make the carbon surface strong hydrophilic. Good luck,
Regards,

Dan Shi, PhD
LCB, National Cancer Institute, NIH