[3dem] Newbie question - Defocus mistmatch

rg2502 at columbia.edu rg2502 at columbia.edu
Sun Oct 26 07:34:24 PDT 2008

Eduardo,
I assume that you are using the low dose program on your tecnai when
you say that you use the series option.  One cause of the defocus
mismatch is that you are using a different magnification to focus than
the one you are using to take the exposure.  The large descrepancy in
resulting defocus is likely related to the fact that you do not have a
parfocal lens series.  A way to check this is to go to the
magnification that you use to focus and check what the objective lens
current readout is.  Now change the magnification to what you are
using for exposure and check what the value is there.  My guess is
that they differ by the amount that you observe.  There is a step in
the alignment procedure where you can correct for this (right now I
can not recall exactly where, but you should be able to find it out
from FEI).  The second reason that defocus settings can go astray
,assuming the grid is flat and you are consistently at the eucentric
plane, is the calibration of the difference in lens value as compared
to what defocus it gives you.  This value is set in the registry and
generally is only set by the service engineer with help from the
factory.  I hope that helps.  These are the main reasons for these
inconsistencies that are related to the software.  Shixin's
suggestions are related to the electron optics.  Good luck.
Bob

Quoting shixinwang at micron.com: