[3dem] PDF with 3D models

Eduardo Sanz-Garcia esanzgar at chem.byu.edu
Thu May 22 13:58:21 PDT 2008

Magali Cottevieille wrote:
> Indeed you can do a File > Export Scene with Chimera, hoping that one
> of the formats are recognized by Acrobat 3D.
> You bring in an interesting question with these 3D illustrations; they
> would be very useful for a screen display. But what about the paper
> version? Once printed, you loose the benefit of the 3D, but I guess
> you can choose the orientation or display you want to print.
In an ideal world:
PDFs with 3D models should print normally.
And PDF viewers that doesn't support 3D models should display at least a
static image.
I have tested preview.app and ggv and neither of these support 3D
models, neither of these display an static image.

If someone has already make a cryo-EM map conversion to a PDF 3D model I
would love to see it.
This PDF is awesome:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/acrobat3d/examples/water-cs-3D.pdf