[3dem] scanners

Philip Koeck Philip.Koeck at biosci.ki.se
Thu Jun 12 05:20:09 PDT 2008

Hi again,

so far I've had 1 suggestion other than the Nikon 9000 and that was the
Epson V750.

I've looked at the technical specifications of the Epson on the internet and
found some strange things.

There are several values for optical and hardware resolution and the
hardware resolution differs between the x- and y-direction.
How should one understand that?

If I take one of the numbers (6400 dpi) that would mean a pixel size of 3.97
micron, which seems very small for a commercial scanner.

Are the physical CCD-pixels rectangular? What does that do to the MTF in x-
and y-direction? Has anybody measured that?

Is it possible to scan with the same scan-step in x- and y-direction and how
accurate is that?

How many physical pixels does the CCD-array actually have?
A very large scan-area is reported, but how is that achieved, by
de-magnifying optically or by swathing as in the Zeiss SCAI?

Does anybody have measurements of the geometric accuracy and/or the spectral
S/N-ratio?

Thank you for your patience (if you've read this far),

Philip

Philip Koeck
Karolinska Institute
Dept. of Bioscience at Novum