[3dem] Problems with Kodak SO-163 film

Thorsten Mielke mielke at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Jun 12 01:19:24 PDT 2008

Hi all,

since quite a while we do observe strange
artefacts after developing Kodak SO-163 films
recorded on our Polara. I put 2 images on our web
server. The following link should start an
automated download using any web browser.

http://www.molgen.mpg.de/ws/050261/SO-163-artefacts.ZIP

Many images show stripes or other non regular
features like "waves" as you can see on image no.
2. Strangely, when developing 28 negatives in one
rack, not all of them show the artefacts, but
mostly 5 - 10 negatives in a row show very
similar features/stripes/artefacts. In rare
cases, negatives look like image no. 1, where the
emulsion seems to be exploded.

We checked our dark lab, developing conditions,
film handling ....but we have no clue what might
cause these artefacts. They occur on different
film batches, different users observe them....

We handle the films as follows:

Film boxes are opened in the dark room equipped
with red safety light (we checked already that it
is really safe!) and packing foil is removed.
Films are pre-dried in a desiccator and P2O5.
Loaded cameras are stored in a desiccator for a
couple of days. Exposed films are developed
within one day using full strength D19 developer
for 12-15 minutes and fixed after washing in
water for 10 minutes or even longer. Films are
rinsed in a water tank for at least 20-30 minutes
and dried in a cabinet at 40°C. Some users
additionally use Kodak PhotoFlo as deteregent.

Did anybody of you observe similar artefacts
indicating a manufacturing problem? Any idea what might cause the artefacts?

Regards

Thorsten

Dr. Thorsten Mielke
- UltraStrukturNetzwerk -
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Ihnestr. 63-73
D-14195 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30 8413-1644/1141
Fax: +49-(0)30 8413-1385