[3dem] Column vacuum problem with a Tecnai F20

R.I.Koning at lumc.nl R.I.Koning at lumc.nl
Wed Jul 30 05:57:56 PDT 2008

Dear John,

I just had a short discussion with our FEI service engineer here in the
Netherlands. Indeed, as pointed out earlier by others, it most probably
is a leaking O-ring in the vicinity of the cold trap or possibly even in
the compustage. So the big question is which one it is.

In order to prevent a long series of tests and replacements that do not
solve the problem he advises to do a helium leak test. Here at Eindhoven
there is such an apparatus. You might want to ask your service engineer
to do such a test. (Basically you add another pump to the vacuum system
with a Helium detector inside. You add helium from outside your
microscope and detect the helium going through the pump). It is not a
simple thing to do, but probably better than testing every O-ring
individually.

Best regards,

Roman

R.I.Koning (Roman) Ph.D