[3dem] Column vacuum problem with a Tecnai F20

Guenter Resch guenter.resch at imba.oeaw.ac.at
Tue Jul 22 14:08:03 PDT 2008

John,

> Our column vacuum deteriorates when liquid nitrogen is added to the
> cold trap.

two or three times, we have experienced a similar problem on our Polara
(which has an entirely different design of the cooled parts, of course)
when cooling it down after a cryo cycle ... the vacuum went bad enough
for the IGPs to switch off and the TMP to take over.

That leak is not reproducible enough to have our FSE work on the column,
but I briefly discussed the problem with him ... he also suggested an
O-ring at the interface of the conduction rods to the column as the
most likely culprit.

Good luck with finding your leak,

	Guenter

--
Dr. Guenter Resch, IMP/IMBA Electron Microscopy Facility
Email: guenter.resch at imba.oeaw.ac.at, resch at imp.ac.at
Phone: +43 (1) 79044-4250; Fax/Voice Mail: +43 (1) 79044-224250
Post: Dr. Bohr-Gasse 3 - 1030 Vienna - Austria, European Union