[3dem] Problems blotting the liquid ethane

Benoit Zuber bzuber at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 01:35:04 PST 2008

Hi everyone,
I have experienced exactly what Yifan describes. When I plunge-freeze a
grid, if this grid has a large droplet of solid ethane and if I transfer
it straight away in the microscope, then even after being pumped by the
turbo for 45 sec, the remaining ethane always causes a vacuum crash.
Moreover, when the droplet of solid ethane is too thick I cannot well
position the clip ring to hold the grid.

Therefore, I usually blot the ethane just after freezing the grid by
raising the grid just above the level of liquid nitrogen and touching it
gently with a whatman blotting paper. I take care not to absorb any
liquid nitrogen with the blotting paper, so that as soon as ethane melts
I can see it being sucked by the paper. From the moment I take the grid
out of nitrogen and the moment ethane melts, it takes roughly ten
seconds. I make sure no liquid remain on the grid (after 2-3 sec of
blotting), and then plunge it back in liquid nitrogen.

By doing so, I have no more problems of vacuum crash or difficulties to
clip the ring; plus my grids are still vitreous.

Now regarding, the contamination. It is certainly not ethane, because as
others mentioned earlier it evaporates in the column. However it could
be some grease/oil contamination coming from a nearly empty ethane gas
cylinder.

Regards,

Ben

--