[3dem] C-flat grids cryo-EM with manual blotting

Matt Swulius mtswulius at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:51:36 PST 2008

Terje's response pretty much sums up my experience with c-flat. The 200 mesh
grids simply fell apart no matter how I blotted them. I tried evaporating
additional carbon on to them (as suggested by the manufacturer), but it has
little effect if any. They were very generous though and had a new batch
sent to me free of charge and they gave me some 400 mesh grids to try as
well. As others have noted the carbon support is more durable on the 400
mesh grids, but I was still surprised to see 50% or more of the carbon gone.
I've since stuck with quantifoil and have had no problems getting thin ice.

Matt Swulius
UT Health Science Center - Houston