[3dem] C-flat grids cryo-EM with manual blotting

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Wed Dec 10 07:00:04 PST 2008

We have used C-flat grids and manual blotting for some time, until we
recently got our Vitrobot. Like you, we find that if we glow
discharge the grids, we cannot get thin ice. The problem seems to be
that the water goes through the holes, and since we blot only from
one side we get thick ice forming on the other side. In the Vitrobot,
we don't have this problem, since the grids are blotted from both
sides. Perhaps it would work better if you blot from manually from
both sides. We have never tried that (too complicated).

If we don't glow discharge and blot for about 2-3 sec we get some
thin ice, but the thickness is very variable from one area to the
other and you tend to get huge gradients of ice thickness ("lumps" of
ice of which only the edge is usable) as you have also observed, but
that's how we have been operating, until we got the Vitrobot.

On the other issue that you mention, we find that the film on the 200
mesh grids is too fragile and is almost always completely broken by
the time we get it in the microscope. The 400 mesh grids are more
robost and retain most of the film, however.

Terje