[3DEM] Resin sections in a cryo instrument

David Bhella d.bhella at mrcvu.gla.ac.uk
Tue May 22 06:42:43 PDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I am trying to formulate a policy for a new 200 keV FEG cryo TEM we
are installing, with regards to what should and should not be
permitted in the column. The instrument is intended primarily for
cryo and 3D reconstruction by both single particle and tomographic
methods.
I have canvassed several opinions, particularly with regards to resin
sections, and received a very polarised response. Many have indicated
that they do not believe there is any danger of increasing
contamination, while others are equally adamant that cryo-instruments
should be used for that purpose only.

Does anyone have any concrete evidence in support of one or other
viewpoint?
It seems that opinions on this are firmly held, it would be good to
know if someone has conducted an in-depth investigation.

Many thanks,
D.

Dr David Bhella
MRC Virology Unit
Church Street
Glasgow
G11 5JR

Telephone:  0141-330-3685
Graphics lab:  0141-330-2989
Mobile:  07717-202439

Virus Structure Web Site:
http://www.mrcvu.gla.ac.uk/research/bhellad/virus_structure.htm

Molecular Machines - Images from Virus Research (Art Exhibition):
http://www.molecularmachines.org.uk

Departmental Web Site:
http://www.mrcvu.gla.ac.uk/staff/bhellad.html