[3DEM] Postdoc vacancy Field emission SEM and EMT in Durham UK

Martin W. Goldberg m.w.goldberg at durham.ac.uk
Fri May 4 08:09:29 PDT 2007

We have a vacancy for a postdoc to work on the structure of the yeast
nuclear pore complex. Much of the work is aimed at using high resolution SEM
to look at the role of specific domains of nuclear pore complex (NPC)
proteins in NPC structure and transport. We are also developing TEM methods
such as tomography, so we would very much welcome applicants with such
experience. A couple of relevant references are: Kiseleva et al. (2004) J
Struct Biol. 145 272-88 and Strawn et al. (2004) Nat Cell Biol. 6:197-206.

Equipment includes a Hitachi S5200 field emission SEM (0.5nm resolution)
with cryo-stage, a high resolution chromium coater with cryo stage, a high
pressure freezer and freeze substitution unit and a Hitachi H7600 TEM with
automated tomography acquisition. We also will have access to a 200kV field
emission JEOL 2100F with Gatan post column filter, set up for
(cryo)-tomography currently being installed in Physics .

Durham is a small and beautiful historical city in the North East of
England, and is close to the lively metropolis of Newcastle.

Further details can be found at
https://jobs.dur.ac.uk/jobdtls.asp?Session_in=
<https://jobs.dur.ac.uk/jobdtls.asp?Session_in=&Uid=&vref=1931>
&Uid=&vref=1931

Dr. Martin W. Goldberg

Wellcome Trust Lecturer

School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences

Durham University

Science Laboratories

South Road

Durham DH1 3LE