[3DEM] Handedness determination by Random Conical Tilt

Hong-Wei Wang hwwang at lbl.gov
Fri Mar 23 18:06:55 PDT 2007

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Dear all,

This is a follow-up of the problem that I brought last week. I got quite a
few responses regarding the handedness determination of 3D reconstruction by
TEM. Some of them are very helpful, while some show that my problem was not
a single case. It is worth making the issue clearer.

There are several ways to determine the handedness of a structure. As I can
think of, tomography is one method. Metal shadowing is another. They should
work well with structures with large size or certain feature (such as
helical particle by metal shadowing).
For most single particles, the best way is taking tilt-paired micrographs of
the specimen and comparing the images with the 3D model. There have been
literatures discussing this method by tilting the sample at low angles (5-20
degrees). Two of them are:
1. Belnap et al. (1997) J. Struct. Biol. 120, 44-51
 2. Rosenthal and Henderson (2003) J. Mol. Biol. 333, 721-745

Random Conical Tilt actually incoporates this in its processing pipeline.
The only difference is that RCT needs high tilting angles so that both
handedness and the 3D reconstruction are obtained simultaneously. Two
essential factors that need a lot of cautions are the micrograph orientation
and the direction of tilt-axis in the micrographs. Failure of determining
either one of them may cause a mirror in the reconstruction. These two
factors are linked. If the micrograph is viewed from bottom (such as films
with markers readable), the higher area of the specimen in the column is
farther from the viewer; if the micrograph is viewed from top (such as CCD
images), the higher area of the specimen in the column is closer to the
viewer. Some people mentioned the flip of the specimen when loading the grid
onto the holder. This has no effect on the handedness determination by this
method.

More specifically, for the case in my reconstruction. After I picked the
tilted pairs of particles in WEB, WEB calculted the gamma, phi, theta. They
are for the direction of tilting axis and the tilting angles. Since WEB
calculates these based on the geometrical coordinates of the paired
particles in two micrographs, it cannot tell the correct sign for any of the
three angles. Furthermore, the signs of the output values depend on the
initial values assigned. The correct signs have to be figured out by the
users. The rotation convention in SPIDER and WEB have to be taken into
account as well. This can be figured out by doing some testing in WEB.
Since the marks on my micrographs are readable, I am at a position facing
the sample from the bottom of the microscope column. In the tilted
micrograph, area with higher defocus represents the same area of the
specimen at lower position in the scope, thus closer to me. By this means, I
can determine the direction of the tilting axis and the sign of tilting
angle. In the specific example I mentioned in my last email, I made the
mistake in this step. The GAMMA and PHI should be of a value of about 90
degrees rather than -90 degrees. Or the THETA should be -55 degrees rather
than 55 degrees. This led to the wrong handedness in my reconstruction.

As several people suggested, the best way to have a unambiguous handedness
in a RCT reconstruction is to use a known sample (such as ribosome) as
"calibrator": take tilted pair images of such sample in a microscope
operating at certain condition (HT, magnification, tilting direction, CCD or
film as data collector), scan the films on a scanner under certain
convention (orientation of the micrograph, the way that the micrograph put
in the scanner), convert the digitized images to the working format in
certain way, calculate the direction of tilt axis with the same initial
values (this may be just the case in WEB. Other softwares such as CTFTILT
can assign the signs of angles correctly). All the other unknown samples
should be reconstructed in exactly the same convention. Thus the handedness
is determined.

I hope that I have described clear enough and it is useful to people that
are using random conical tilt method. A lot of thanks to those who responded
and gave suggestions to my previous questions.

Hongwei