[3DEM] Outrageous cryo-sectioning idea

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 19 13:15:26 PDT 2007

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

Dear List,
	In a recent paper from our lab (J. Struct. Biol. 153:241-252), it was
shown that high-density amorphous ice (HDAI), which is stable at 12 K,
flows more readily than low-density amorphous ice, the stable form at
LN2 temperature.  This has me wondering if it would be possible to cut
better cryosections from HDAI under LHe than can be done with present
technology.  Of course, I realize that there are great technical
difficulties in setting up a cryomicrotome at 4 K, and devoting the
necessary resources to accomplish this is well beyond the capabilities
of our lab, so I thought I'd put the idea out to the list and see
whether anyone was interested in pursuing it (once the laughter
subsides).
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist