[3dem] 4k x 4k cameras

Steve Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Mon Dec 17 07:09:59 PST 2007

I think you'd have to characterize that statement as general principle rather
than specific advice. Gatan has a lot of detailed data on this, but
they consider much of it proprietary, so I fear you'll have to talk to them for
hard numbers (or repeat the research :^) ). That is, there is some tradeoff
involved between sensitivity and point spread. Since most people spending the
money for a 4K CCD camera are also either doing or considering doing both
single particle and tomography, the CCD makers do have a 'standard'
configuration, but there are more options if you think getting close to Nyquist
is more important than collecting every electron, for example.

Steven Ludtke, PhD              |        Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.tmc.edu             |     Associate Professor & Co-Director
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu       | National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
V: (713)798-9020                |    Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
F: (713)798-1625                |
http://ncmi.bcm.edu/~stevel     |         The converse also applies