[3dem] 4k x 4k cameras

Steve Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Fri Dec 14 10:38:14 PST 2007

Yes, this is well known, but it isn't related to a specific resolution. That is,
the MTF of the CCD camera is related to the pixel size, so the B-factors will
depend on the magnification used on the microscope. Note that it also depends
strongly on the scintillator you selected for your CCD camera. High sensitivity
cameras will have poorer point spread functions, and hence more falloff in the
MTF. ie - there is a tradeoff between sensitivity and MTF of the camera. This
must be carefully considered when collecting images on CCD. The magnification
should be selected such that you won't have MTF problems at the desired
resolution, but still have sufficient particles within each frame to make
accurate measurement of the defocus and other CTF parameters. When purchasing a
CCD camera you have to decide the purpose of the camera. For relatively high
dose work like single particle analysis, low-sensitivity cameras are better, but
for tomography, you might want higher sensitivity.

Steven Ludtke, PhD              |        Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.tmc.edu             |     Associate Professor & Co-Director
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu       | National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
V: (713)798-9020                |    Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
F: (713)798-1625                |
http://ncmi.bcm.edu/~stevel     |         The converse also applies