[3DEM] Positions open in Berkeley

Kenneth Downing khdowning at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 4 07:35:40 PDT 2006

**** Messages to this list are automatically archived ***
**** Please limit quoting of previous postings to the bare minimum ****

We have two immediate openings in the biological EM group at Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory:

1.  EM Facility manager:  We are looking for someone with a broad
background in microscopy to oversee operations of our facilities.  This
person would be responsible for scheduling users and maintenance on the
microscopes, training new users, ensuring that all of the ancillary
equipment is running well.  He/she would also participate in various
aspects of research, including development of new specimen preparation
methods, and collecting and processing data.  Extensive experience in
several of the following areas is desirable:  Conventional use of a wide
variety of TEMs; cryo-microscopy sample preparation and examination;
low-dose protocols; electron tomography; equipment maintenance
(microscopes, vacuum systems, etc.); microscope control software;
training and supervision of users; data processing for tomography,
single-particle work, and/or electron crystallography.

Principal investigators in this group include Eva Nogales, Manfred Auer,
Robert Glaser and Kenneth Downing.

We use an eclectic array of electron microscopes, including a JEOL
3000SFF, JEOL3100FEF, JEOL4000, Philips CM200F, FEI Technai  20F,
Technai 12, Zeiss 10 and JEOL100C.  All are equipped with CCD cameras,
most set up for cryo work.

A formal description of the position and application can be found at
http://cjo.lbl.gov/LBNLCareers/home.asp?mode=search
-- search for ID# 018824, or contact me for more information.

2.  Postdoctoral position:  I am seeking a postoc to participate in work
funded by the Department of Energy’s GTL program to study subcellular
structures in bacteria.  We are using electron tomography to map out the
presence and location of major macromolecular complexes.  Most of the
work is in the context of studying the response of Desulfovibrio
vulgaris to various stresses.  The overall goal of the project is to
develop high-throughput methods for analysis of bacterial proteomes,
focusing on composition, structure and localization of molecular
machines.  Work by others within this effort involves tagging selected
proteins for visualization and purification, isolation of intact protein
complexes, and medium-resolution structure determination by cryo-EM.
Goals of the tomography work include describing the cell’s cytoskeleton
in detail and the mechanical processes involved in cell division and
stress response.

A formal description of the position and application can be found at
http://cjo.lbl.gov/LBNLCareers/home.asp?mode=search
  -- search for ID# 018824, or contact me for more information.

In addition, we will soon have a position open for work on the
decelerator/CCD camera that is being developed for intermediate voltage
microscopes.  An ideal candidate would have experience or interests in
areas such as electrical or mechanical engineering, detector
development, high voltage systems, vacuum systems, quantitative image
analysis – as well as some background in electron microscopy.
For more information, please contact me directly.

Kenneth H. Downing
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Berkeley, CA 94720         tel 510-486-5941; fax 510-486-6488

UC Berkeley Graduate Group in Comparative Biochemistry
Senior Associate Editor, Microscopy Research and Technique