Condenser aperture contamination

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Wed May 18 13:45:09 PDT 2005

Dear Lists,
	We have been having problems with contamination of the 150 um aperture
on our FEI F30H Polara microscope.  No other apertures, condenser or
otherwise, have become contaminated, but the 150 has had problems
several times.  (It has been the aperture most frequently used, which
could be why.)  Furthermore, our instrument is used almost exclusively
with frozen-hydrated biological specimens, and the only other specimen
in use recently was 10 nm colloidal gold on a R 2/2 Quantifoil.  Has
anyone else experienced problems with condenser aperture contamination
on a Polara?
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager