F30H objective aperture & low dose--solution

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:42:57 PDT 2005

Dear Lists,
	Thanks everyone for the many helpful comments and suggestions.  After
a series of investigations, we tried something that, in retrospect, was
obvious.  When a smaller objective aperture was inserted, the problem
became less severe, leading to the conclusion that somehow the larger
objective aperture was out of position.  Some of the possibilities are
that the aperture was not placed properly in the holder, that the foil
came loose from the body of the aperture, or that the tip was being
displaced when moved to the farthest-in position. In our case the we
still do not know exactly what occurred, but the apertures were
properly positioned and looked fine.  This can occur in a microscope
where the aperture is in the back focal plane, as well as one like the
F30 where the aperture is not, so if you experience a similar problem
with your aperture not being centered in Focus state when it is
centered in Exposure state, see if this occurs just with one aperture
or is present for all the apertures.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist and Manager