[3DEM] Gatan cryoplunge

Paul Chipman paulrc at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Wed Feb 9 06:54:33 PST 2005

Dear All,

We regularly use the Vitrobot and as Bob and others have already
mentioned, we routinely see a gradient of density.  Since we work
with viral particles of varying diameter the gradient is useful as
most grids have at least some ice of proper thickness.  It would
however, be detrimental to those wishing to use Leginon or some other
automated package.  In that case I think more a more rigorous testing
of parameters might be needed to yield the uniform ice that Bill
Tivol is able to achieve.

As Norm already mentioned, the Vitrobot is extremely useful for
teaching purposes as it eliminates the need to acquire this skill
while the student is still learning how to properly transfer the grid
to holder and microscope.

One other thing we have noticed is that occasionally we get a batch
of Quantifoil grids that continuously have most grid squares ruptured
while using the Vitrobot (using the same parameters that usually
work).  These same Quantifoil grids work fine with manual, plunge
freezing.  We're still not sure if the Vitrobot is less gentle than
freezing by hand or if some other factor is involved.

Cheers,
paul