[3DEM] EM-software run on OSX/unix

D. Prabha Dias, PhD prabha at caltech.edu
Fri Jun 18 12:07:47 PDT 2004

At 12:39 -0400 6/18/04, Thomas C. Marlovits wrote:
>I am wondering whether anybody tried to successfully compile any of the
>EM-software (MRC-package, Spider, Imagic, Eman, Frealign, ...) on a Mac
>in an OSX/unix environment.

Dear Thomas,

We are currently using the Boulder, CO group's IMOD package very
successfully on Macintosh G5's running  OS10.3 (Panther), as well as
Bernard Heymann's Bsoft package.  I have run David Agard & John
Sedat's PRIISM package on OS 10.2.8, but have yet to try it on the
latest version.  The software developers themselves are your best
resource.  The only problems I ever had with running Unix-based
software on Mac OS X had to do with graphical interface libraries,
and that was with older versions of the OS.  I'm not a programmer, so
I apologize for not being more specific than that.  Good luck!

-Prabha

--
D. Prabha Dias, PhD
Electron Microscopy Scientist & Lab Manager

phone: (626)395-8829
fax: (626)395-5730
email: prabha at caltech.edu