postdoctoral position available

Michael Radermacher mraderma at physiology.med.uvm.edu
Thu Jul 15 13:34:21 PDT 2004

Postdoctoral position available.

Our research focuses on the structure determination of macromolecular complexes
and their conformational changes by three-dimensional electron microscopy.
Currently one of our main projects is the determination of structure of
complexes in the mitochondrial respiratory chain by cryo-electron microscopy and
image processing. A second topic is the localization of their subunits within
the complexes by immunolabeling. The candidate we are looking for should have a
working knowledge of biochemistry and should carry out antibody binding
experiments, electron microscopy and image processing. To date the samples are
kindly provided by our collaborators; however, if the candidate shows interest
in protein purification some parts of the purification could be transferred to
our laboratory.

	Our laboratory is equipped with a Tecnai 12 electron microscope equipped for
cryo-electron microscopy. Computing facilities include a 4-processor HP alpha
computer with several Tb of disk space, and access to an Opteron cluster.

	Our laboratory is located at the University of Vermont, one of the oldest
Universities in the US. The city of Burlington, located on lake Champlain, is
great place to live. The city is full of live in its center with a mixture of
shops, cafés and restaurants. The area with its friendly and progressive
Vermonters offers an active cultural environment and plentiful recreational
opportunities.

Please send an application including CV to the address below. Please arrange for
three letters of reference to be sent.

The University of Vermont is an equal opportunity employer.

Dr. Michael Radermacher, Assoc. Prof.
University of Vermont
College of Medicine
Dept. Mol. Physiol. & Biophysics